This sweet and cheery essential oil is steam distilled from the herbs of Hierochloe aplina. The blades of organically cultivated sweet grass are gathered during harvest season and the fragrant grass bundles are aged in the sunshine for months. The golden cured, aromatic straw is then steam processed into this uniquely bright, sunny hay essential oil. It's aroma is mellow, yet distinctive, like sunshowers passing across a breezy prairie.
Hay essential oil is an uncommon essence that finds use in perfumery where it acts as an excitant and fixative for other aromas. The cultivation of sweetgrass hay for perfumes and colognes dates back to the late 19th century when French perfumers began using it to sweeten their formulations.
Hay essential oil contains coumarin, a constituent that is popular in perfumery for its distinctive sweet aroma, reminiscent of new mown hay or vanilla. The coumarinic aroma of sweet grass becomes more pronounced when the grass is dried. Coumarin is a naturally occurring chemical compound that can be found in many plants such as Tonka bean, bergamot and cinnamon.
- Botanical Name: Hierochloe alpina
- Aroma: sweet green, with notes of dried fruit, sun showers and earth
- Country of Origin: France
- Plant Parts: Straw
- Cultivation Method: Organic
- Method of Extraction: Steam distilled
- Blends Well With: Bergamot, Blood Orange, Jasmine, Lemon, Neroli, Patchouli, Spikenard, Tangerine, Vanilla, Vetiver