The Vanuatu variety of Sandalwood is rich in santalol, the chemical constituent that gives the signature creamy euphoric sandalwood aroma. This smooth island sandalwood is warm, woody and honey-sweet and a great alternative to, if not better than, the prized South Indian Sandalwood Santalum album which is becoming more and more scarce.
Our Vanuatu Sandalwood is sustainably produced and eco-harvested by a small project on the pristine South Pacific Vanuatu island in New Caledonia. Sandalwood production is regulated by government and for every 1 tree harvested, 5 new sandalwood plants are in turn planted. In this way the demand for sandalwood can be met and the trees will never be endangered.
Sandalwood is a slightly thick oil that gets better with age. Sandalwood oil is valued in perfumery as one of the finest fixatives. By itself it is a beautiful, long lasting sweet perfume. It can also blend well with many other perfumes and botanicals without overpowering, making it very versatile and useful. Sandalwood makes an elegant base note in woody floral and oriental bases, precious wood accords, and high class florals.
For aromatherapy purposes, Vanuatu Sandalwood is very meditative and can be helpful to calm the mind and for relaxation. The Sandalwood oil can also be diluted into oil for skin care. It is particularly soothing for dry, sensitive and mature skin. Sandalwood is very calming and skin friendly and can be used to soothe scars or fine lines. Sweep through the hair and scalp for strong shiny hair.
- Botanical Name: Santalum austrocaledonicum
- Aroma: Sweet, creamy, santalol-rich woody. very long and sweet woody drydown
- Country of Origin: Vanuatu
- Cultivation Method: Eco-cultivated
- Method of Extraction: Steam distilled
- Plant Part: Heartwood
- Blends Well With: Cedar, Chamomile, Bergamot, Lemon, Orange, Geranium, Eucalyptus, Frankincense, Lavender, Rosemary, Tea Tree, Rose, Jasmine, Tuberose, Pine, Patchouli, Spruce, Vanilla, Vetiver, Spikenard, Myrrh, Plumeria